Sunday, November 17, 2013

25 in 25

Happy Birthday to ME! In honor of my 25th Birthday I thought I'd share 25 Things I have learned over the past 25 years of my life.  This is my 115th post.  I remember the struggles of trying to figure out what my very first blog post could be about.  I'm still semi-new to this little ole blogging journey, but I have learned so much over this past year.  Growing up, I always thought the number "24" was when I'd be married, and thought it sounded so old.  Now I look back, and laugh at myself.  I'll be married at this age of 25, so I guess I was pretty close.  With that being said, 25 is going to be my most favorite year--I just know it! 
Gosh, now that I think of it, I'm halfway to 50!  Wow, that's a scary thought.

  •  I will be married to the man of my dreams at the age of 25.
  • We both have set jobs at 25.
  • We will be living in our own home at 25.
  • I will be seeing Britney Spears in Vegas at 25. 
  • I will be going on not one but two cruises at 25. (Bachelorette & Honeymoon! Whoop whoop!)                  
 

Here's what I've learned in the past 25 years:

1. It's ok to stay home on the weekends.
I never thought I'd hear these words come out of my mouth
I've always been either going out or working every weekend.  I've learned that
I really can just stay home, relax, and snuggle up with my fur babies.  Of course, I like to go out, however, if I don't I won't feel bad or ashamed about it (like I did when I was 22). 
Man have times changed!


2. Keep in contact with your friends.  
It gets harder as you grow up to keep in contact with friends, however, it works both ways.
Making a simple effort can help keep contact.  Remember, they were in your life for a reason, don't let it slip away.  It's hard to find genuine people, so keep the ones you find around.

 3. Save for a rainy day.
My dad taught me this, and it will forever be engraved in my mind.
You never know what can happen.  Life throws some interesting curves, and when or if it does, that one time you said no to those cute boots, could help you pay off something you need to.  Example: Emergency surgery, car repairs, emergency flight (you could be stuck somewhere and need to get home ASAP)

3. Communication is one of the most important things in any relationship.
Whether it be a relationship with your fiance, or your girlfriends.  Having that communication could save you a fight or two.  Trust me on this one.  I could have saved myself a few too many arguments if I were to have communicated properly.

 

4. Never be afraid to take a chance.
Life is too short to wait around for an opportunity.  
If life throws one your way, don't be afraid to take it.
You don't want to have any regrets on an opportunity that might never come by again.


5. Family will always be there for you.  No matter what.
Throughout this past year, I have grown extremely close to my mom.  I don't know what it is about this year, but what I do know is that she is and has always been there for me.  We didn't exactly get along like "normal" mom's and daughters in middle school and high school.  So for us to finally be close is what I had always hoped for.  I know she always had my best interest at heart, and I'm glad I finally matured enough to realize how amazing she is.



6. Forgive; and let the past be the past.
This has always been a toughie.  When bad things happen, I always think about the worst things that have happened in the past.  What I've learned from my experiences, is that the past is the past for a reason.  Always forgive because no one is perfect.  I'm not saying forget, because that's practically impossible, however don't bring up past situations.  
My mom always taught me, "Forgiveness is the most important part of love."


7. Don't compare yourself to anyone else.
You are your own person. Be you.  You can use other people for inspiration.
Do things differently.  Don't let anyone tell you different. You are beautiful.  
You are unique and no one else can be you.

8. Happiness is what you define it.
No one can define happiness. It's different for everyone.  
Everyone has there own way of being happy.  Only you know what makes you happy.


9. Be grateful for what life has given you.
See the beauty in the little things. 
Be thankful for everything you have.

10. Learn to smile more often.
One simple smile at a stranger can change their whole day around.
I've always been a happy person, so smiling comes natural to me, however, that doesn't mean those of you who aren't smile-ofteners (yep. made that up) can't learn to show those pearly whites as often as possible.  Try it today to a stranger.

11. You're not a girl, not yet a woman.  
Thanks Brit.  That song will forever be in my head, and I don't feel young, but I also don't feel like a woman.  Just hearing the word "woman" scares me.  Yikes! 
Can I be Peter Pan and never grow up?

12. Fall in Love when you are ready, not when you're lonely.
Don't waste your time on someone just because you are lonely and don't like to be alone.
Save that time for someone who really matters.

13. You are the only one who can take care of your body.
Do it for your future, your health.  What you put into your body can have long term effects.
I know we don't all think of this on a daily basis, but it's a good start if you  want prevent spending most of your elder years in a hospital.  
Take care of yourself now for a better future.
14. Life is too short to be "normal."
I'll admit it.  I am quite unusual. I like to joke, laugh, have fun at times and at others I like to keep to myself and relax with my fur babies.  I'm weird, occasionally act like a 12 year old and am goofy about 80% of the time.  Over the years I've learned to let down, and not try to fit in this so-called "normal"existence some people expect you to be.  Yes I may belch louder than your 13 year old son, and may have accidentally pulled a "Britney" when getting out of my vehicle..  I may not act like a lady at all times, but that's what makes me who I am.
  I am different and I embrace it. 
 Don't act like you've never belched in your life.. get real.

15.  Cherish the time spent with your close friends, and family.
You never know when they will no longer be around.  Don't take anything for granted.
Appreciate all lessons they have taught you.
16.  Challenge Yourself.
You will never grow stronger as a person if you don't challenge yourself.  It's not bad to take the easy way out occasionally, but not all the time. Push yourself to strive for the best.

17. Appreciate the little things in life.  
Such as sunshine, beautiful flowers, nature. 
I've learned to appreciate the beauty in things.

18. Be kind to everyone.
My favorite saying is "Live in such a way that if someone should speak badly of you, 
no one would believe it"


 
19. See the positive in every situation.
Even when things get you down, there's always a reason.  
Try to see the good in everything, even if it's tough.

20. It's ok to try new things.
No you will not die,  well.. unless you do something extremely outrageous like
 swimming with sharks.   Then I hold no responsibility.
21. Wear dresses more often.
I never was much of a dress girl in high school. Unless it was for a special event, or homecoming.  Now, I have more casual everyday dresses, and you know what - I feel more feminine in them.   I know this is super random, but it's 
the little things that make a big difference.


22. Don't Rush.
Take time to plan things out.  Think before you act.  I tend to make better choices by thinking through it before acting on the spot.

23. The grass isn't always greener.
It's true.  It looks great, but doesn't mean it's going to make you happy.

24.Never let someone else change you or your ideas.
Don't let anyone else influence your decisions.  
You can seek to others for advice, but only you will be your best judgement.

25. There is still so much I don't know.
That's the beauty of life.  There's always something new to learn.  There will never be a time you won't learn something new.  I'm excited what this year has to offer and what my next journey has in store for me. What a thrill!

If you are interested in reading how we got engaged, you can read about our story here. 



2 comments:

  1. happy birthday! sounds like you've learned a lot of awesome lessons along the way :)
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I am all about the "don't compare yourself to anyone else" one! I totally agree with that!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment my blog & will do my best to respond to each and every one of you! :) xoxo Lisa Nicole ♥
Please follow my social media accounts
>> facebook// twitter //etsy <<